Festival Skills – Short Written and Non Written Forms. Communication and Audience Development
The second of three blocks of the Asian Cinema Education International Journalism and Film Criticism Course focused on journalistic skills which are essential for film festivals organisers.
Available from October 1
Open Call: September 1 – 24, 2021
Festival Skills – course info
Festivals play an important role in the life cycle of a film but are equally important for film critics. New talents find an audience there, like-minded people from different places meet. Not only is it a place for film critics and journalists to broaden their horizons, but they often also work for festivals, e.g. with the press office or as editors.
The course focuses on a number of different aspects related to both these sides. We look at how to conduct interviews, how to cover a festival, the challenges of online film criticism. But as festivals can be a daunting place, especially on a first visit, we also go into the practical side of things. While working at a festival, the tasks that journalists take up can be very varied, from writing press releases, promotional texts, or texts for the website to introducing films and even making video essays. The course explores all these in detail and teaches how to find one’s audience both as a film critic and as the festival itself.
- Short Film Descriptions for Promotional Purposes, Taglines, Nancy Fornoville
- Introducing Films to the Audience - Nancy Fornoville
- Managing Social Media Content - Nancy Fornoville
- Video essays - Nancy Fornoville
- Level up as a Film Critic. Tips for Beginners (FIPRESCI, Netpac) - Nancy Fornoville
- Audience Development - Nancy Fornoville
- How to Conduct an Interview - Marcin Krasnowolski
- How to Write an Effective Press Release - Nancy Fornoville
- How to Work as an Online Critic - Panos Kotzathanasis
- Q&A Sessions during the Festivals - Eija Niskanen
- Press Junkets – How to Act as the Organizer and How to Act as the Journalist - Eija Niskanen
- How to Cover the Festival - Panos Kotzathanasis
- Writing for Festival Website: Film Descriptions, News, Headlines - Eija Niskanen
- Expert Comment on Participants’ Assignments. Part One - Nancy Fornoville (available from November 29)
- Expert Comment on Participants’ Assignments. Part Two - Eija Niskanen (available from November 29)
Who can participate in the courses?
The course is open to everyone interested in talking and writing about Asian cinema – future film journalists, bloggers, critics, members of selection committees, festival organizers, and Asian cinema enthusiasts. We invite people of all ages who want to develop their interests, gain new skills and get to know Asian cinema.
What are the requirements for completing the course?
To complete the course and receive a participation diploma, you have to write an assignment given by the expert and present it to the expert in charge of the course. The assignment, in its final form, should be accepted by the expert. The best works will be published.
How long does the course last?
- The courses is available from October 1, 2021
- Assignment deadline: November 15, 2021
- Webinars with experts’ comments on the assignments handed in throughout the course available on November 29, 2021
What is the language of the course?
All webinars are conducted in English only – this is the working language of the whole course.
How much does it cost to participate in the course?
Participation in the course is free of charge
To actively participate in the course, you need to fill in the registration form with the necessary data and complete a short task.
Registration: September 1-24, 2021
You can register for one, two or three parts of the course. Participating in each part will require a separate registration. The registered participants will be able to interact with the lecturers and their works will be assessed and commented on by the experts.
You can also watch all the webinars without registering.
Questions? Please contact us!
Terms and Conditions
Participation in the course requires acceptance of Terms and Conditions