International People's Jury 2021
Is Asian cinema your passion? Do you have a critical eye? Are you ready to meet fellow film enthusiasts? This is your chance! Come to Warsaw and become a member of the Five Flavours Asian Film Festival's People's Jury.
Thanks to the workshops led by active film critics and Asian cinema scholars, the participants will learn about organizing and promoting a festival and develop their skills in writing and talking about cinema!
The idea behind the International People's Jury is simple – 12 Asian cinema fans (three from Poland, Italy, the Netherlands, and Finland respectively) meet in Warsaw at Five Flavours FF to watch and discuss titles of the New Asian Cinema competition section, and choose its winner. The jury deliberations are accompanied by workshops of festival and journalistic skills.
During an 8-day intense stay in Warsaw, Jury members will have a chance to widen their film horizons, improve their writing and editing skills, learn about different aspects of organizing a film festival, and participate in the dynamic festival life.
People's Jury is dedicated to non-professionals interested in Asian cinema and culture.To become a member of the International People's Jury, you are asked to discuss your favorite Asian movie in English, in 1500-1800 characters, and write a short cover letter.
Festival organizers (Five Flavours Asian Film Festival, Udine Far East Film Festival, CAMERA JAPAN Festival, and Helsinki Cine Aasia) will be accepting applications from September 1 till September 20. Each festival will choose three candidates and provide them with a return ticket to Warsaw, accommodation and meals. All applicants must be over 18 (no upper age limit), fully vaccinated against COVID 19 and fluent in English. No professional experience in film criticism is required.
People's Jury – important information:
- Transportation and housing costs for Jury members coming from outside Warsaw will be covered by the organizer of Five Flavours Film Festival, Arteria Art Foundation.
- Jury members have to watch all the competition films and participate in the daily workshop-editing meetings.
- The project is open to all amateurs and semi-professionals – including bloggers, students of film and cultural studies, and Asian cultures enthusiasts.
- The Recruitment Committee will base the assessment of applications mostly on their creative outlook on cinema, knowledge of Asian cinema and its understanding, and the linguistic quality of the texts.
- A person who has already been a member of People’s Jury once can apply again, but you cannot become a Jury member more than twice!
- Call for applications: September 1 – 20, 2021
- Results announced: October 4, 2021
- People’s Jury workshops and deliberations: November 17 – 24, 2021
Terms and conditions
Participation in the course requires acceptance of Terms and Conditions
Freelance journalist, film scholar, and Five Flavours Asian Film Festiwal programmer. Author of many articles about Asian cinema. His interests include films from Korea, Hong Kong, and China, and the flow of inspirations between Asian and non-Asian cinemas. He also works in international TV production.
Łukasz Mańkowski is a film scholar and critic writing about Asian Cinema, Japanese language translator, and festival program consultant. Enrolled in the Ph.D. program at Artes Liberales (University of Warsaw), he prepares an interdisciplinary dissertation on the perception of Japanese New Wave and Avant-Garde Cinema and teaches classes on Asian Film. Łukasz has been selected for many critics talents lab, including 2021 IFFR's Young Critics Programme.