Programme of the 10th Five Flavours
- New Asian Cinema - the competitionsection showcasing the best selection of independent films from emerging Asian authors. The best films are awarded by the People's Jury which involves eleven Asian cinema enthusiasts from all over Poland,
- North Korean Cinema - films from the most mysterious country in the world,
- Sion Sono: A Portrait - a selection of the latest and older titles from one of the most original Japanese authors,
- Fukushima, Five Years Later - films discussing the repercussions and trauma in post-Fukushima Japan,
- Genre Cinema - a selecion of the latest martial arts films, horrors and thilllers,
- Asian Classics - restored masterpieces never screened in Poland before,
- Special Screenings - the latest mastepieces from the most renowned Asian directors.
Opening & Closing
The 10th edition of Five Flavours opens with Miwa Nishikawa's latest work, "The Long Excuse" (Japan 2016) and closes with Johnnie To's "Three" (Hongkong 2016). The festival's programme is composed of the best selection of both author cinema and genre films and opening and closing titles reflect this variery.
Asian Festivals Con
Five Flavours is excited to announce a new direction which extends the scope of our festival activities – the Network of Asian Film Festivals in Europe (NAFFE). It aims to create a strong and continuous partnership among European film events which focus solely or primarily on presenting Asian cinema and culture.
The 10th Five Flavours hosts the first Asian Festivals Con – a series of meetings and presentations from 17 to 20 November in Warsaw. The programme involves meeting open for public which give a practical insight into the ways Asian film events in Europe are organised, promoted and funded. The meetings are a rare occasion to learn how film events in France, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia and the UK function on a daily basis and have an insider talk with their representatives.
Entrance is free, please register at: email@example.com
Meetings are held in English without translation.
Programme in Wroclaw
The local edition of Five Flavours in Wroclaw is scheduled from 18 to 24 November at the New Horizons Cinema.
Asian Horror Night proves to be one of the most popular and enterntaining events in the festival programme. This year's night full of thrills takes place at Kino Muranow during the Halloween weekend, on 29 November.
- 20:00 - The Wailing, dir. Na Hong-jin, South Korea 2016, 156'
- 22:45 - Spine-chilling snacks
- 23:15 - The Piper, dir. Kim Kwang-tae, South Korea 2015, 107'
- 01:00 - Sadako vs Kayako, dir. Koji Shiraishi, Japan 2016, 98'
A night marathon for all hard working people takes place on 19 November at Kino Muranow.
- 19:30 – Heart Attack, dir. Nawapol Thamrongrattanarit, Q&A with the director after the screening
- 22:10 – 100 Yen Love, dir. Masaharu Take
- 00:00 – Late-night snacks
- 00:30 – Train to Busan, dir. Yeong Sang-ho
Radio Asia promotes the most interesting musicians from East and South-East Asia and serves as a music programme of Five Flavours.